Thanks for checking out my blog. I will work to keep it current, with photos and posts. YOU CAN FIND THE PHOTOS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE. ¡gracias!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eating too much in Brazil´s old capital

I have spent the last 4 days in Salvador Brazil, mostly accompanied by my terrific hosts the Peixoto´s (thank you Julie!). I have been spoiled from the start and the last four days has been a constant parade of great food, beautiful sights and warm friendly Baihanos (people from the region). I can´t say enough good things about them. Mila and Katia and Fernando and Mila´s kids and their friends and aunts and grandparents and on and on have all welcomed me like only Brazilians can.

Salvador is beautiful. Situated on the point of a huge bay it was an old port city protected by large forts and marinas. The old part of the city is really spectacular, it is what you see if you look up Salvador online. Of course not all of Salvador looks this way, like most places there are many poorer areas and the nouveau rich parts with dozens of new buildings being constructed at once.

Among the colorful skyscrapers you will see a handful that pop out and are distinguished from the rest, these are the buildings designed by the Peixoto´s (my hosts). They are playful and exciting and really fun to look at. It makes you mad that so many buildings are so bland and unimaginative when you see what some creativity and ingenuity can do.

I am coming to the end of my travels (I can hear my mom saying "hooray!"). I am so accustomed to this lifestyle at this point I think it is goin to be very strange to start a routine and be in one place. But I am also looking forward to that. What I don´t want to loose is the sense of adventure I have had while traveling. Feeling that every day is an opportunity to discover something new. Like the work of the Peixoto´s I want to bring excitement and joy in what is often dull and ordinary. That sounded like a cheesy graduation card or something. But I actually mean it, as cliche as it may be. As you might be able to tell, the end of my trip has been very reflective.

I look forward to sharing with all of you when I get back and hearing everything I have missed in the past 8 months. Love You, and hope you have an adventure today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?...