Thanks for checking out my blog. I will work to keep it current, with photos and posts. YOU CAN FIND THE PHOTOS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE. ¡gracias!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

La Isla Grande de Chiloe

I love saying the name. "Isla Grande" makes it sound like a fake city in some Disney Movie. that is half the reason why i came. something about islands just make me want to see whats on them. (btw its an island like manhattan is an island, not on easter island or anything). I have spent 2 days exploring Chiloe, and it IS pretty magical. It is covered in really dense rainforest type vegetaion, and there are these houses everywhere that are over the water standing on stilts. I havent quite figured out why they go to the trouble of building 30 feet above the water, instead of the open land right behind it... but its cool!

Yesterday they had a festival for the victims of the earthquake and the local highschool kids put on Jesus Christ Superstar to raise money. so of course I had to go. It was amazing. and by amazing I mean lip synced, with lots of shiny fabric and an over enthusiastic light board operator. the kids seemed to really enjoy it. made me so grateful to have had all the opportunities to perform when I was a kid, because something tells me this probably doesnt happen too often for them.

I arrived here on a boat that sailed through the fjords of southern Chile. My mom describes the area as the place that looks like puzzle peices at the bottom of your world map. haha. Its a good description. It was amazing. I had the best time. I hung out with gringos from all over the world, slept 12-14 hours a day, ate a LOT, laughed, read, and took in the amazing sights around. It supposedly can get rough sometimes, and people get bad seasickness but it was pretty mild for our trip. The bartender was the only one not having a good time. pretty sad guy, would ask for a cup of coffee and he looked at you like you wanted his newborn child. then after 10 minutes of preparring the coffee, he would hand you this tiny cup of lukewarm intant nescafe. then if you didnt have the right change that was another life crisis that he had to endure.

OKAY! a word about South America and CHANGE!! it doesnt exist. i mean there are times when they wont SELL me something because i dont have the EXACT change. that or the person dissapears to search for change from other people. it really seems like a simple solution... make more coins!! When you get out large amounts from the ATM, Oh, you are screwed. have to search for a place to break your bills. and then the opposite is true, if you give them exact change and they werent expecting it... major points, you are IN! From a country that mines most of the metal for the both american continents you think that they could have some disposable change reserves. the most amazing thing is that it is universal, i mean you would think all of the storeowners got together and decided, screw the customers we are only going to carry this amount of change and when we run out WE RUN OUT!! DOWN WITH CHANGE!!

love you all.

que te vaya bien

1 comment:

what do you think?...