Thanks for checking out my blog. I will work to keep it current, with photos and posts. YOU CAN FIND THE PHOTOS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE. ¡gracias!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

peruuuuuuuuu

Sometimes it sucks being a gringo. I will start this post off with saying im not in the best of moods so that will surely affect what I write. And I dont want to come off complaining about how unlucky I am to be traveling the world. I try to be grateful everyday. But sometimes...it sucks. Im starting to feel like they purposefully put diahrrea inducing bacteria into their food, because I've got the (sorry mom) shits for the second time here. And after being robbed with my parents, then again with friends in Lima, I had to muster all the "pity them dont get angry I could". THEN today two guys tried to swindle me by claiming they needed help with their english. Not sure exactly what they wanted or what they were going to do, but thanks to a lady who tipped me off, I wasn't with them long enough to find out. Sometimes I just feel like a tall, blonde money sign. And that can suck when you are trying to be open and friendly and not judge and assume, but the sad truth is, you just can't let your guard down. I want to trust the guy I meet in the street, and sometimes maybe I can, but I have to be cautious. I don't think this is a problem of the peruvian culture of course. It seems this is a result of poverty, and other social factors that force people to do desperate things. So I have to walk that line between being open and ready for new things, but also careful and guarded. And after reading about the Spanish conquest, they had it much worse than we do now, talk about people taking advantage of people...

Not sure why I wanted to post that. Maybe just needed to write that down somewhere, and I again want to clariry that it has not greatly affected my trip, just a sad fact. And it is a sad reality of the world that we all come to realize: that not everyone has your best interest in mind.

That being said I have also run into a lot of beautiful people, that were so giving and generous and very trustworthy, both people that live here and fellow travelers. I guess all we can do is like my father's mother said, try not to get angry but have pitty on those who choose to prey on others. And maybe it is our responsibility to also look for the conditions that allow these things to happen.

1 comment:

  1. COME HOME!!! Ha Ha! Just kidding. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?...